Monday, January 27, 2014

A to Z Blogging Challenge: Book Review Style

So a few days ago Laura posted about how she's going to be doing the A to Z blogging challenge, except instead of just random blog posts she's going to be posting 26 book reviews. It actually sounds like a cool idea, so I'm going to join her. (Although, it's in April, so things could happen between now and then).

(You can skip the following ramble about book reviews).

I think it's a cool idea. I think I need to do more book reviews, and I think one of the most important things about reading and the online book community is supporting authors. I can't afford to buy every single book that comes my way, but sharing about books I've read leads to more books being bought down the road. It's so important to share book recommendations with people!

However, because of that, I tend to shy away from negative reviews. Actually I usually only post reviews of books that I have fallen in love with, because books I love I just want everyone to read and love as much as I do. But that's not always the case - I'm sure even if I just like or even dislike a book, just by me talking about it they'll pick it up. But if I hate it... I'll just... omit some truth. :)

tl;dr Book reviews are good and I should do more of them so I'm going to!

Laura is reading 26 different books with titles that start with each letter of the alphabet. I'm going to do the same, although not in the allocated time because, to be honest, I just don't feel like putting that much pressure on myself!

So here is my list (I stole some off Laura's list, and some are my own TBR). Recommendations would be awesome!:

All Our Yesterdays by Cristin Terrill
Blackbird by Chuck Wendig
Corked by Kathryn Borel
Doll Bones by Holly Black
Ender's Game by Orson Scott Card
Fragments by Dan Wells
Grave Mercy by Robin LaFevers
How to Say Goodbye in Robot by Natalie Stanford
Ink by Amanda Sun
Jane Eyre by Charlotte Bronte
K
Listening for Lions by Gloria Whelan
Mind Games by Kiersten White
Nobody But Us by Kristin Halbrook
OCD Love Story by Cory Ann Haydu
Prodigy by Marie Lu
Quintana of Charyn by Melina Marchetta
Raven Boys, The by Maggie Stiefvater
Small Damages by Beth Kephart
Throne of Glass by Sarah J Maas
Unravel Me by Tahereh Mafi
Vicious by VE Schwab
Wool by Hugh Howey
Xenocide by Orson Scott Card
Year of Biblical Womanhood, A by Rachel Held Evans
Zen and the Art of Motorcycle Maintenance by Robert M. Pirsig

I'd love to do a range of genres with this, so recommend anything! And everything's subject to change.

See you in April! (For this, anyway, hopefully I'll get around to posting before that!)

4 comments:

  1. I'm definitely going to take some of these for my own list.

    Also -- if you're reading Fragments, you should know that Partials was the first book, and Fragments won't make sense if you don't read Partials first. :P If you need an alternative, Fire and Hemlock by Diana Wynne Jones is amazing. It's a standalone, part MG, part YA, part coming of age, part fantasy, part fairy-tale inspired/adaptation. Based on some of the other books you've reviewed here, I think you would really like it.

    It will be interesting to review and compare notes for all these...

    ReplyDelete
  2. Also, may I recommend Doll Bones by Holly Black? MG ghost story.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I actually just read Partials which is why I put Fragments on my list - I enjoyed it so thought I'd try the sequel. :) And ooh, I saw Doll Bones recommended on twitter by someone. Only a few letters left now!

      Delete
  3. A book I liked that works for V would be The Virgin Cure by Ami McKay. It's a Historical Fiction, I read her first book and really liked it and this one is well done as well.
    -Megan

    ReplyDelete

Hey there! I really treasure every comment... whether it just be a hello or a deeper thought. I love hearing your thoughts! :)

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...