Sunday, January 1, 2017

2016 Reading Goal Check In & 2017 Goals!

New year, new goals, new look! (The new look is still in progress.)

Anyway, let's see how I did with this year's reading goals...

1. Read diversely! This is always a goal of mine, although it definitely takes work and I can always do better. I especially want to focus on reading what people have called #ownvoices on Twitter, where the identity of the main character is shared by the author. 



I read 19 own voices books this year, about 30% of the books I read... which is pretty good, but I would love to eventually get it up to at least half of the books I read in a year, or more.

2. Read more books by non-Western authors, or with non-Western settings (like, outside the US, Canada, the UK, and Australia). This is really hard sometimes because of language issues, but I know there are books out there! (Also if you have recs for me for any of these, please comment and let me know!)




I read 3 books with non-Western authors and settings, which is... not great. Also, going through my book log, I'm having trouble figuring out what actually counts as non-Western authors and settings, since a lot of books I read are written by authors who have immigrated to Western countries. So what counts as an "international" author? If an author is from Pakistan but moved to the US and published in the US are they an American author?

3. Read more books by indigenous authors, not just written by authors from Canada and the US but outside as well. 




You can see all of the books by Indigenous authors that I read this year here, and as you can tell I did not do super great. Most of them I only read in December. Also I did not read any books by Indigenous authors outside the US or Canada - actually I have no idea where I would find books like that. Anyway, better next year! 

4. Continue to read CanLit! I loved discovering all the great CanLit out there this year, and I'm not ready by any means to be done with it yet!




I read 18 CanLit books this year! I think I'm pretty happy with that. I still want to continue reading CanLit, and I also want to do more CanLit reviews this year! Before you know it, this will be a CanLit blog. I would be okay with that.

5. Read more books with non-American authors than American authors (I failed at this in 2015.)




I was definitely closer this year, but I still was not successful. I read ten more American authored books than non-American authored books. It is hard because whenever I want an easy fun book to read, American books are always the easiest to find... 

Aaand this year's goals! Last year I don't know what I was thinking but I didn't do numbers for anything, so this year's goals will be more specific. 


*~*~2017 Reading Goals~*~*

1. Read 7 books by Indigenous authors, including at least 1 by an Indigenous author not from North America.
2. Read more books with non-American authors than American authors. I will do it this year!! Third time's a charm!
3. Read 3 books that have been translated from another language.
4. Have 40% of the books I read this year be diverse #ownvoices books. 
5. Read 5 books with non-Western settings.
6. Do a reading challenge on the blog! Which reading challenge? Who knows, not me! 

 I
will still read a lot of CanLit, but since I did pretty good this year I won't make it a goal. And it's included in goal #2.
Hopefully those goals are reasonable and specific enough.
We will see.

What are your reading goals for this year? Do you love making goals as much as I do?? 

2 comments:

  1. I'll be interested to see how you define non-Western Indigenous author. By Western, you seem to mean English native speaker (although French is quite prominent in Canada, yes?); is that right? In that case, perhaps you could look at Mesoamerican, Caribbean, and South American authors.

    Books in translation: never read her, but Cornelia Funke's books about a dragon-riding kid are translated from German, I think. Also perhaps Crossing the Mangrove (Caribbean lit translated from French...I thought some of the POV voices of characters were a little lost in translation, but the imagery is wonderful), for a grimmer story about a historical event perhaps Massacre River, and there's another Caribbean lit book that's a retelling of Wuthering Heights. The name escapes me, but that one in particular is...well, disturbing. Those three are all what you would call literary fiction; I read them as part of a course in college.

    :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Cool, thanks for the recs! Yeah I guess what I mean is Indigenous people outside North America, rather than non-Western, since Indigenous people here have a very different worldview than Westerners. One of the books I read last year by an Indigenous author from Canada was translated from Inuktituk, then into French, then into English.

      I have read Cornelia Funke! I think the book you're talking about is actually just called Dragon Rider. I also loved her Inkheart series as a kid.

      Delete

Hey there! I really treasure every comment... whether it just be a hello or a deeper thought. I love hearing your thoughts! :)

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...