Wednesday, May 21, 2014

What's Up Wednesday

What's Up Wednesday is a weekly blog hop created by Jaime Morrow and Erin Funk, to help connect writers on this writing journey.



WHAT I'M READING

My brother just read all of the Game of Thrones books, and I like reading books my brother has read because it's fun to discuss them with him because it's a way to get him to talk to me. SO right now I'm reading Game of Thrones. I'm only on like page 100 of the first book, and I'm fairly confused but it's interesting enough so far. I'll hold out any real thoughts until I finish, though.

WHAT I'M WRITING

I am actually writing right now! I haven't really done a lot of writing this year. I was just really frustrated that I wasn't getting anywhere, and how terrible all of my ideas for fixing my draft were. But I pushed all that aside and just told myself the only thing to do to get better was to write, so that is what I'm doing. I only have about 4,000 words of my newest draft but I think that's okay, and I've been working on it every day for the past few days, so that's a start.

WHAT INSPIRES ME RIGHT NOW

I just finished rereading The Queen's Thief series by Megan Whalen Turner, and it was amaaazing. I can't wait to read them again and find even more hidden treasures. MWT is a genius, and her amazing writing is definitely inspiring to me. Stories in general are inspiring.

WHAT ELSE I'VE BEEN UP TO

Working. What else is new? But tomorrow is my last day at my retail job, so I'm looking forward to that!

What about you? What's up?

2 comments:

  1. I feel like Game of Thrones takes a bit to get into but they're fantastic books. My advice is to not worry about remembering all the characters.

    Yay for writing! Good luck :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Game of Thrones tends to move more slowly, at least in the beginning of the first book, because there are so many different POV chapters. So you might get a "repeat" of a plot event, but told through a different character's chapter. Or two POV chapters might overlap chronologically. However, I think that that's a great way to tell a story about war. It's also a challenge to read with the third person close viewpoint, because you have to wonder if the character's perspective can be taken for granted or if they are a flawed narrator -- are they seeing other people and the world as it really is, or are they biased? Things like that are what make ASOIF a fun series to read. I've found it requires more work and deeper thinking, as well as a deeper understanding of the characters, to figure out. That said, Wikipedia or a GoT wiki somewhere has a key with all the characters, houses, sigils, mottoes, etc. that I know some of my friends found helpful while reading it.

    Are you starting a new draft, or working on revisions of an older one? Either way, good luck!

    ReplyDelete

Hey there! I really treasure every comment... whether it just be a hello or a deeper thought. I love hearing your thoughts! :)

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...