Wednesday, September 10, 2014

Filling Up Your TBR List


The final week before school started, my family went to the lake. It's been an annual thing for years now in our family, but the best thing about this particular week this year was it gave me the chance to read more books than I had almost all summer. Some of the books I read made an impression on me, and I wanted to share about them with you, because books are cool, and you should read them.

1. UNTHINKABLE by Nancy Werlin

I read the companion book to this, IMPOSSIBLE, which is about the song of Scarborough Fair, and some curse or something that goes with it. It was such a weird, unique book that left an impression on me so much so that it's one of the few books that I actually still remember reading. UNTHINKABLE isn't as good, but it's still strange and weirdly intriguing. (Also: Twilight has nothing on the relationship in this book, a 400-year-old getting together with a 23-year-old. Aside from that, it was good.)




2. CHARM AND STRANGE by Stephanie Kuehn

This book was AMAZING. At first, I grumbled about it because I thought it was a werewolf story (I'm not hugely into werewolf stories). But it is SO MUCH MORE than a werewolf story. The writing is brilliantly done, so beautiful and subtle and gaaah just amazing. Stephanie Kuehn is talented. It's a very, very painful book though, just to warn you. But despite the heavy topic, I love books that can rip those kinds of raw emotions right from your core. I also love books that make me think, and this one definitely did - a lot. I had a book hangover for a week and a half from this one. You should definitely check it out. I think it is a very important book, and it is one hundred percent going on my list of Best Books of 2014.



3. WHAT CAME FROM THE STARS by Gary D. Schmidt

Gary D. Schmidt is in my opinion the model of what a middle grade author should be. He writes MG so well. WHAT CAME FROM THE STARS was no OKAY FOR NOW, but it was still good. The characters are so beautifully average kids, the writing is so eloquent and perfect, and there are always little gems of humour in all of his books. Gary D. Schmidt is definitely one of my favourite authors. I would recommend all of his books to middle school kids everywhere, especially this one.



4. THE WINNER'S CURSE by Marie Rutkoski

I already talked about this on my What's Up Wednesday post, but the Megan Whalen Turner fans and the hype are right: you should read it.

What are some books you read recently that you'd recommend?

3 comments:

  1. I really love the cover for Charm and Strange! And I'm definitely going to start using the phrase "book hangover." Haha.

    Errrrm, I don't know what I've read recently that you might enjoy. THRONE OF GLASS is YA fantasy and probably somewhat along the lines of Megan Whalen Turner, and I liked that one quite a bit. MIND GAMES, which I just did a #weneeddiversebooks review of on my blog, is OK. Also, did you ever get to read WOOL by Hugh Howey? That book blew my mind. I loved it.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Charm & Strange has multiple amazing covers! I wasn't sure which one I wanted to include. :) I've heard both good and really bad things about Throne of Glass, so for now my expectations are low, but it's on my TBR. I did read Mind Games (I think it was one of my A to Z books), and I did a review on here as well. :) I have not read Wool but I'll put it on my TBR!

      Delete
  2. I can recommend the books by Haruki Murakami an Michel Houellebecq >:)

    Cold As Heaven

    ReplyDelete

Hey there! I really treasure every comment... whether it just be a hello or a deeper thought. I love hearing your thoughts! :)

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...