Monday, February 9, 2015

Review: Lizzie Bright and the Buckminster Boy by Gary D. Schmidt

Gary D. Schmidt sure can write a beautiful book, and Lizzie Bright and the Buckminster Boy is no exception.

I think my favourite thing about Gary D. Schmidt's writing is how he weaves natural imagery into his stories, and he does it so, so brilliantly. In Lizzie Bright he uses the island and the whales that swim around the island to add to the depth and emotion of the story. The way he uses these natural elements in his books provides another deep layer of meaning to the story.



Lizzie Bright and the Buckminster boy is set in Maine in 1912, and it is about the eviction of a black community from the island of Malaga off the coast of Maine. It's based on a true story, and Gary D. Schmidt writes it as terribly heart wrenching as a young white boy from Phippsburg, Maine makes friends with a young black girl, Lizzie Bright, who lives on the island with her grandpa. The writing is simple, clear, and smooth and so is the storyline. Gary D. Schmidt gets emotions across so well, both from his characters and from his reader (yeah, maybe I cried).

This is a beautiful and important book that made me think, and you should definitely check it out, especially if you want your heart broken, but in a good way.

Find it on Goodreads here and Gary D. Schmidt's website here.

3 comments:

  1. I need to work on getting my emotions across in writing, so I'll definitely have to read this book and see how Schmidt did it. And getting my heart broken in a good way is always fun. ;)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Do it! I love Gary D Schmidt, although my favourite book of his is Okay for Now. Almost as heartbreaking as Lizzie Bright.

      Delete
  2. I put this on my want to read list. I like the premise.

    ReplyDelete

Hey there! I really treasure every comment... whether it just be a hello or a deeper thought. I love hearing your thoughts! :)

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...