Tuesday, December 29, 2015

2015 End of Year Survey

This survey was originally made up by Jamie at The Perpetual Page Turner! 

2015 Reading Stats

Number of books I read: 90, although I may fit one more in yet...
Number of rereads: Only 12 this year! 
Genre I read the most from: YA Contemporary, with 22, although if you add adult contemporary, I read 37 contemporary altogether.

Best in Books 


1. Best book I read in 2015 I think that would have to be A Teaspoon of Earth and Sea by Dina Nayeri for this year. 
2. Book you were excited about and thought you were going to love more but didn't? I loved Donna Tartt's The Secret History, but so I was hoping I would like her other book, The Goldfinch, just as much... but, I did not. 

3. Most surprising (in a good way or a bad way) book you read? When Everything Feels Like the Movies by Raziel Reid. Both the way it was written and the ending surprised me, in both the best and worst way possible. 

4. Book you "pushed" the most people to read, and they did? Um, probably Jellicoe Road by Melina Marchetta, which I always push quite often. I also pushed A Teaspoon of Earth and Sea quite a bit as well, and got my mom to read it. 


5. Best series you started in 2015? Ooh, Dairy Queen by Catherine Gilbert Murdock was really good, and so refreshing for YA. I haven't read any of the other books in the series yet, but I'd like to. Best sequel of 2015? The Winner's Crime by Marie Rutkoski, the sequel to The Winner's Curse - it was so good and intense, I think I read it one sitting. I'm so excited to read The Winner's Kiss!
Best series ender of 2015? Shadowscale by Rachel Hartman (I know it's only a duology, but that still counts). Either that or Winter by Marissa Meyer.

6. Favourite new author you discovered in 2015? Jenny Han! I'm glad I could add to my stack of well-written YA contemporary romance with To All the Boys I've Loved Before and P.S. I Still Love You. 


7. Best book from a genre you don't typically read/was out of your comfort zone? I don't typically read historical fiction, but I quite enjoyed Consumption by Kevin Patterson, as well as A Teaspoon of Earth and Sea by Dina Nayeri. 

8. Most action-packed/thrilling/unputdownable book of the year? Winter by Marissa Meyer, probably. Sheesh, I felt like I had run a marathon after finishing that book, but I was definitely sad it was over! 

9. Book you read in 2015 that you are most likely to reread next year? Well, Jenny Han's duology, definitely, and hopefully Dairy Queen by Catherine Gilbert Murdock. 


10. Favourite cover of a book you read in 2015? I love the cover of The Weight of Feathers by Anna Marie McLemore, which is a beautiful, dramatic and magical story about two show families. The cover of Listen, Slowly by Thanha Lai is also beautiful. Oh, and the cover of Watch the Sky by Kirsten Hubbard, which is what got me to pick up the book initially.

11. Most memorable character of 2015? Even though it was a reread, I'm going to say the characters from The Raven Cycle by Maggie Stiefvater, since they are so well written and I can never get them out of my head. 

12. Most beautifully written book read in 2015? A Teaspoon of Earth and Sea by Dina Nayeri, definitely. I mean it made me cry, so. 

13. Most thought-provoking/life-changing book of 2015? Probably this biography I read of Dietrich Bonhoeffer, called Bonhoeffer: Pastor, Prophet, Martyr, Spy by Eric Metaxas. That man was amazing and everything he did and said is extremely inspiring to me.

14. Book you can't believe you waited until 2015 to read? What's Left of Me by Kat Zhang, which I waited for way too long to read, it actually turned out to be quite good. Now I'll probably wait way too long to read the sequel. 

15. Favourite passage/quote from a book you read in 2015? This is a passage from Heather O'Neill's The Girl Who Was Saturday Night. The way she writes is so smooth and clever:
"Every writer has to invent their own magical language, in order to describe the indescribable. They might seem to be writing in French, English or Spanish, but really they were writing in the language of butterflies, crows and hanged men."


16. Shortest book you read this year? Summer Point by Linda McNutt. Longest? The Goldfinch by Donna Tartt, that thing is like 900 pages.

17. Book that shocked you the most? When Everything Feels Like The Movies by Raziel Reid. 

18. OTP of the year? Lara Jean and Peter K. :)

19. Favourite non-romantic relationship of the year?  Mai and Ut from Listen, Slowly by Thanha Lai. I love little girl friendships. :)

20. Favourite book you read in 2015 from an author you've read previously? Looking for Alibrandi by Melina Marchetta. I'd read it before, when I was 15, and hated it (actually if you look at one of my previous end of year posts, I think it makes it to the "worst books" list). This time I loved it, and don't understand why I didn't like it so much the first time.

21. Best book you read based solely on a recommendation from someone else/peer pressure? I read both Song of Achilles by Madeleine Miller and Deathless by Cathrynne M. Valente because of Tumblr. (They were both great).

22. Newest fictional crush from a book you read in 2015? Um, I forget his name, but a character from one of the short stories in the Christmas anthology My True Love Gave to Me, edited by Stephanie Perkins. 

23. Best 2015 debut you read? The Weight of Feathers by Anna Marie McLemore was really good. 

24. Best worldbuilding/most vivid setting you read this year? Maybe the whole world of The Lunar Chronicles by Marissa Meyer. 


25. Book that put a smile on your face/was the most fun to read? Reading Kabloona in the Yellow Kayak by Victoria Jason was pretty fun, as well as Wild by Cheryl Strayed. I always seem to enjoy well-written memoirs. 

26. Book that made you cry or nearly cry in 2015? A Teaspoon of Earth and Sea by Dina Nayeri. 

27. Hidden gem of the year? The first book I read, Althea and Oliver, by Cristina Moracho. I haven't really heard many people at all talking about it, and it was really well written and had a really interesting premise. Also The Taliban Cricket Club by Timeri N. Murari, about a girl pretending to be a boy to play cricket under the Taliban regime in Afghanistan. It was great.

28. Book that crushed your soul? Lizzie Bright and the Buckminster Boy by Gary D. Schmidt. 


29. Most unique book you read in 2015? When Everything Feels Like the Movies by Raziel Reid was quite different from anything I've ever read.

30. Book that made you the most mad?  Most of the books that made me really mad this year I didn't finish, so... none?  

Blogging/Bookish Life

1. New favourite book blog of 2015? I could barely keep up with my own blog, much less anyone else's... 

2. Favourite review that you wrote in 2015? I think one of my favourite reviews is the post I did reviewing three books I read set in the Canadian territories. Actually, all the CanLit reviews I did this year were pretty fun.  

3. Best discussion/non-review post you had on your blog? Maybe my 5 TBR List Tips.  I didn't do a whole lot other than reviews this year, though. (Which is kind of funny considering last year my goal was to do more reviews!)



4. Best event that you participated in (author signings, festivals, etc)? NerdCon! So fun. 

5. Best moment of bookish/blogging life of 2015? I always love talking to writers and authors on Twitter, and letting them know when I loved their book. 

6. Most challenging thing about blogging or your reading life this year? Trying to balance school, reading and blogging. (I failed). 

7. Most popular post this year on your blog? My Around the World Reading Challenge post, probably because I linked to it so many times over the year, haha.

8. Post you wished got a little more love? My post about The Book Faeries, where I talk about how my family gives my brother books to read. (The cycle is still going, too). 

9. Best bookish discovery (book related sites, bookstores, etc)? 49thshelf.com is great for CanLit recommendations, and a bookstore I discovered is Half Price Books when I went to Minneapolis in October to go to NerdCon. Unfortunately, my city doesn't really have any great used bookstores like that. :(

10. Did you complete any reading challenges or goals that you had set for yourself at the beginning of this year? I kind of finished my Around the World Reading Challenge, but I definitely completed my Across Canada Reading Challenge, reading a book set in every province and territory in Canada. 

Looking Ahead

1. One book you didn't get to in 2015 but will be your number one priority in 2016? Orbiting Jupiter by Gary D Schmidt, which came out in October but I haven't had the chance to read yet!



2. Book you are most anticipating for 2016 (non-debut)? The Raven King by Maggie Stiefvater!! So excited.

3. 2016 debut you are most anticipating? I haven't seen any I'm interested in yet, but I'm sure I will!

4. Series ending/ a sequel you are most anticipating in 2016? See #2! Oh, also The Winner's Kiss by Marie Rutkoski.

5. One thing you hope to accomplish or do in your reading/blogging life in 2016? Blog more than once every couple of months... I'd also love to keep reading books with international settings, especially books by non-American or North American authors. In 2015, I wanted to read more books by non-American authors than by American authors, but I didn't succeed but I would love to try for next year! (So, recs anyone?)

If you want to do the survey, you can find it here! Stay tuned for January 1 for my annual year-end wrap up post (with a bit of a twist, this year). :)

No comments:

Post a Comment

Hey there! I really treasure every comment... whether it just be a hello or a deeper thought. I love hearing your thoughts! :)

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...