Wednesday, June 13, 2012

RTW: Where Would You Go On A Writing Retreat?

Time for another Road Trip Wednesday, courtesy of the beautiful and fantastic YA Highway! I haven't participated in one of these for a while!

Today's question...

If you could go on a writing retreat anywhere, where would you go and who would you bring?

I love canoeing.

I know it's really boring, but I would just go to a cabin in some park somewhere. Actually, I would probably go to Clear Lake, Manitoba. I've already been there quite a bit, since my family goes there every September long weekend, but I love it. There's tons of awesome places to bike, there's a little town for shopping for trinkets (my favourite kind of shopping), and there's a beautiful lake.




The pier at Clear Lake... where we always have to watch the pretty sunsets.


Although for now it sounds like I'd be more distracted than anything... but I find nature inspiring. I also find when I'm biking around by myself, I think a lot. And usually what I think about is... story ideas. The combination would be good for my writing, I assure you. Also, who doesn't love a refreshing breeze coming in through the window?


Biking down the pier... my dad is the pumpkin, and a little to the left is my sister


As far as who I would bring... I would go by myself. (Although with my bike, of course). I'm one of those people who doesn't need a lot of motivation from other people to work. Especially if I'm going on a writing retreat, where the sole purpose is to write. If I went by myself, I would be able to concentrate and spend lots of time in my own thoughts.. which might not be good for my mental health, but is good for my writing. ;) Although it is kind of fun having a friend you can say "ONLY ONE SCENE LEFT!" and such to.


Biking down a trail close to the water with my brother.


So? Where would you guys go for a writing retreat?

11 comments:

  1. New follower here *waves* :) I've never been there, but Clear Lake looks wonderful :) I'd choose a cabin too!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I think familiar places are great for writing because you don't have as many distractions or temptations to explore, you know? As for locations on the lake? Perfect. I grew up in Northern Ontario, so I know something about beautiful Canadian lakes. :) I'm not sure if I've been to this lake in Manitoba, but it sounds wonderful.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Beautiful photos! I think I want to go there too :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Wow, those are gorgeous pictures! This lake looks so pretty and calm...Definitely a nice spot for a writing retreat!

    ReplyDelete
  5. A.K. - Hi! Thanks for following! I love cabins. <3

    Jaime - Yes, familiar places are better... although there's still lots of fun places to explore in Clear Lake, even if I've already been there before. The lakes in Ontario are beautiful!!

    Miss Cole - Thank you!

    Elodie - Thanks! It is a nice spot for writing (I haven't gone there on a writing retreat, but I have done writing there!)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The threaded comments do work! (continuing from yesterday's conversation)

      Delete
  6. Anywhere calm with food far far away from wi-fi or any web connection. along with it, I would bring my 1Tb music loaded portable harddrive and a laptop.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Great pictures, Gracie. It certainly looks like a lovely part of the world. I don't think I'd get much writing done--I'd be too busy admiring the view. :)

    ReplyDelete
  8. I love this! So pretty. I would need to be near water, too. Clear Lake is only an 11-hour drive from me.... and thankfully we've got plenty of lakes in Minnesota. :)

    ReplyDelete
  9. Oh WOW, this place looks so beautiful, Gracie! Those photos are amazing. I would probably find any excuse to go to Fiji, or maybe the mountain ranges of New Zealand. Somewhere far away from WiFi would suit me fine! :D

    ReplyDelete
  10. Ok. So Gracie, we need to go there together, okay? I think that you have the right idea for a writing retreat place! I would need to be away from Wifi though... I am too easily distracted! (Hint: Just like now, when I should be doing my WI homework... but I am not...)

    ReplyDelete

Hey there! I really treasure every comment... whether it just be a hello or a deeper thought. I love hearing your thoughts! :)

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...