Thursday, June 14, 2012

Thoughts On: Being "Anonymous"


So, I've been thinking about "being anonymous" lately, and I do what all normal people do when they think about stuff... browse Google. So I was searching "blogging anonymously" and whatever, and I have realized that in most people's minds I'm not really anonymous because...


1. I am myself on my blog. I'm not pretending to be someone else (as apparently people do) - I really am an 18-year-old girl from Canada who likes to write and read and discuss stuff. I guess it might be fun (?) to pretend to be someone else, but that was not for me.


2. I'm very transparent about a lot of things - for example, the back of my head (granted the picture shown in the sidebar is from grade 7 and I have since gotten my hair cut to above my shoulders), as well as where I live and a whole lot of other supposedly "identifying" stuff. (I've even made the fact that I'm not using my real name fairly transparent...) If someone were to care so much to do in-depth research, they could find out my real name - although it doesn't matter because the person you'd find is the exact same person as me, they just go by a different name!


3. I'm not paranoid about letting too many people in real life know my blog address. A bunch of the sites I found talked about not telling too many people about your blog, otherwise your identity could be revealed!!! :O Anyway... my entire family reads my blog as well as a few other people I know. It's not something that I try and spread around or anything, though. Why not? Well...


My reasons for being so-called anonymous:


1. The "internet safety" thing we all learn in elementary school.
2. Um, this reason is dumb. But I was (am) like, "Well, what if someone looked up my name and found this?"


Yup. That's basically it. And you probably knew this was coming but I've changed my mind, methinks.


My reasons for deciding not to be "anonymous" anymore:


1. My main reason for being anonymous is stupid.
2. I like my real name.
3. This post by Nicole at WORD for Teens (which is an awesome site).
4. It's just easier, being real. Haha. :)


So, hi! My name, my real name is Alyssa Sherlock. And yes, that's Sherlock as in, well... Sherlock.

And this is me:

Photo Credit: Emily


...and now I start the process of changing my name everywhere. Fun! :)

16 comments:

  1. Sherlock like Sherlock Holmes? Haha! I couldn't resist. I would say "Nice to meet you" or something along those lines, but I already know you...

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm actually a vegan vampire dating a Russian werewolf, so it's best that I pretend to be someone else on my blog. ;) No, I'm totally kidding.

    But congrats on being yourself! :D

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Ha, I think it might be more interesting if you pretended to be a werewolf-dating vampire on your blog. :) Haha, just kidding.

      Thank you! Although for all intents and purposes, I've been myself the whole time. Just with a different name. ;)

      Delete
  3. That so funny i didnt know your surname haha.. i think that whatever you decide to do with be anonymous or not is your choice. I´d prefer to be anonymous,its funnier and you have more freedom. You look great in that photo :D

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. There are different kinds of freedom though. There's still a lot of things you have to restrict when you're anonymous! And thank you!

      Delete
  4. You're really pretty :) Just thought I should tell you that. I've always loved reading this blog, and you "coming out" isn't going to change anything.

    Maddie

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Aww, thank you so much! It's so good to know that you enjoy it.

      Delete
  5. I'm having last name envy right now. You probably already know this but your name is awesome! It's nice to meet you Alyssa Sherlock :]

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yeah, I figured people might like my last name. Haha ;) Thanks!

      Delete
  6. Mind telling my dad about the internet safety thing? haha. Nice to meet you Alyssa Sherlock.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Haha, I used to be anonymous for the same reasons as you were! Have fun trying to locate every site you were on and changing your details :P

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yeah, it's been fun... ha, not really. Fortunately I'm only on a couple of websites so it hasn't been that difficult.

      Delete
  8. Yeah,i don't know why so many people goes anonymous when they're online? I don't even know myself why i went anonymous in the first place. Well half-anonymous (if such a thing exist)because my pen name is Nhim but i've spilled out my really name a few time. The only reason i could think of, is because my blog is named "La plume de Nhim". Nhim is a name i came up with a long time ago for a D&D character. I always liked it and so the name became mine. As an aspiring author, the more i write and the more i blog, the more i want to be recognized as the one behind the words and the name used. Does it make any sense?

    anyway i love your blog and posts regardless the name you choose to write under. But i must say adding a face to the writing was interresting

    Keep it up.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It was nice having the security, I think, at least for me. But I'm like you - the more I blog and write, the more I want to have my real name out there.

      Thank you!

      Delete
    2. I know that when I started my first blog and such things, it was my parent's rule that I be anonymous. Therefore, I kept doing it until recently

      Delete
  9. I've always somewhat wondered what your actual name was! But somehow ... you'll always be Gracie to me :P

    ReplyDelete

Hey there! I really treasure every comment... whether it just be a hello or a deeper thought. I love hearing your thoughts! :)

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...