Monday, October 21, 2013

Talking About New Adult as a New Adult

First of all, for those who don't know, New Adult is a fairly new genre that is centred around those of college/university age (so I guess 20s?). Basically, it's what you would read after YA. I don't know a lot about it, but I've read quite a few discussions... and quite a lot of discussions about how it's not really a "thing" yet, etc. It's obviously not as widespread or well known as YA at this point, and there are lots of arguments against its necessity (from a few things I've seen anyway).

A few years ago, that is what I thought: New Adult? Irrelevant.

Buut... things change. Like, you get a couple years older and suddenly you aren't in high school anymore and you're almost 20 and life is a lot different than it used to be.

At this point, I have to admit that being a "new" adult is a lot different than being a young adult. You have different things to deal with than a high school student, and you think differently (hopefully more maturely) than a high school student would.



And, where else would I go but back on the topic of diversity in fiction? I mentioned before that I believe that diversity in fiction is about representing EVERYONE's experiences, regardless of how rare their experience is in the context of society.

Well, representing the experience of college/university age people is a part of that in my opinion. Why not represent those people (by this point, my) experience as a new adult? Why not have something they can relate to on a deeper level?

Do you know that feeling when you read something that was written by someone who is from the exact same place you are, and you just feel this warmth and familiarity when they're talking about the same stores and music and weather and places that you know and see everyday?

That's the feeling I want to get when I read a book, and I think it's a feeling that everyone should have the right to experience.

Just some thoughts. What are yours? On the new New Adult genre? On diversity?

3 comments:

  1. Oh, I have so many thoughts! :)

    NA tends to be contemporary, and it tends to be like chick lit but for a younger audience -- those still in college. Or to look at it from YA up, it's like YA romance but for an older audience and typically involving more sex. From what I've seen, NA has stayed pretty solidly in the romance genre and sometimes in the issues genre. When it branches out and we have NA fantasy, NA paranormal, NA mystery/thriller, etc. as distinct sub-genres, then I think it will be more established. Right now, it seems less like the natural step after YA and more like the natural step up to chick lit and other adult romance genres.

    YA also features protagonists sometimes as old as their early twenties, but YA isn't always contemporary. NA is almost always about a college setting in contemporary times. So if a novel had an NA-aged protagonist going to uni in an alternate steampunk universe where she or he had to solve a mystery, it would probably get labeled as YA because the NA niche is still so narrow.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Wow that gives me such a better understanding of it. I guess I can see how it's not really a big thing yet. I honestly thought I would never grow out of YA, but a lot of YA I just don't feel a huge connection with anymore. Of course that probably seems obvious to anyone older than me, haha.

      Delete
    2. Yeah, I agree. While I wouldn't say I've grown out of YA, I also want something that relates a little more closely to my life when I'm reading a novel about life in high school. I'm in college, so I like college books. Sometimes. Though I don't think anyone in NA worries about money nearly as much as they probably should...

      Delete

Hey there! I really treasure every comment... whether it just be a hello or a deeper thought. I love hearing your thoughts! :)

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...