Wednesday, February 16, 2011

Title Goes Here (RTW!)

Today is Road Trip Wednesday over at YA Highway and the awesome question of the day is:

How do you choose your titles?

Augh... I hate titles, to be honest. Wait, no, rewind. I hate coming up with titles for my own stories. Lots of books out there have awesome, intriguing, inspiring titles that make you grab the book just from those few words that are supposed to sum up a million others.

Yeah, I've never come up with one of those titles. So, if I was going to have a definite answer for this question it would be: very badly. Or, there is no title at all.

So HOW IN THE WORLD DO YOU CHOOSE TITLES? Help!

4 comments:

  1. Try this: Just open a document and write a bunch of words that you associate with your story. Names, verbs, objects, places, adjectives, whatever. Rearrange them like that old refrigerator magnet thing (you know what I'm talking about!) OR, go to thesaurus.com (or something similar), type in a word that is meaningful to the story, and read through other similar words to see if it sparks anything.

    Honestly, sometimes it's just a matter of spitting out a bunch of words until one or a combination of a few speaks to you! :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hmmm... I could see that being very helpful. Thanks for the tip!

    ReplyDelete
  3. You can also just title it something ridiculous until a great line jumps out of the MS. When in doubt, a friend and I use "book with fricking laser beams strapped to its head."

    ReplyDelete
  4. *mega late response!*

    I like to use a phrase or a theme from the story itself as its title... although not always and then I can take years (yes, *years*) to think of something I like.

    ReplyDelete

Hey there! I really treasure every comment... whether it just be a hello or a deeper thought. I love hearing your thoughts! :)

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...