Wednesday, October 19, 2011

The Art of Blogfesting: Guest Post by "The Golden Eagle"

Hello everyone! Today I have a special guest post for you by The Golden Eagle, which is a penname for a teenager writer/blogger who blogs at The Eagle's Aerial Perspective here. Here's some more about her:

The Golden Eagle is the pseudonym of a teenage Chinese-American girl who loves to write, read, and blog, among other things. Her favorite genre to read and to write is Science Fiction, along with some Fantasy and other genres on the side.

Oh, and she gets bonus points from me because she uses an online-name, like I do! :D

Anyway, I asked her to post on the topic of blogfests because you should see the number of blogfests that girl does! I don't know how she has time for all of them... take it away, Golden Eagle!

The Best of Blogging Events

When Gracie asked me to write a post on blogfests, I jumped at the chance. I love participating in them; they're interesting, fun, relatively easy to do, and best of all? You're likely to meet people who share your interests.

Where to find them:

Pages and sidebars are great places to find blogfests. Many bloggers put buttons created by the blogfest hosts on their sidebars, or if there isn't a button, a link instead. I have a separate page where I list blogfests and other events--I find it's an easy way of bringing them all together.

Watch for posts that mention them: a lot of people put out the word about a blogfest if they plan to participate and/or find it interesting. Certainly the hosts will bring it up on their blog!

How to be the best participant possible:

Pay attention to the rules. Of course, you don't have to follow absolutely everything down to the letter, but it's a good idea to give the impression you read the post about the blogfest before you signed up.

I would suggest putting up an individual post if the blogfest falls on a day when you have something else planned. While I know some people will combine both their regular post and a blogfest, a separate post makes it easier to identify what's what. If you think you'll have commenters coming by for both the regular post and the blogfest, put links at the top of whichever post was put up last so they don't have to scroll.

Comment, comment, comment on the blogs of others participating. This is how you meet people interested in the same thing and possibly get new followers--the list of links (called Linky Lists if hosted by Linky Tools and Collections if hosted by InLinkz) included with most blogfests is very handy.

Benefits:

Foremost, the content. If it's a writing challenge, then you get the opportunity to showcase your work. If it's something with a theme, you get to learn about other bloggers and (often) discuss the theme with them. In addition, depending on the subject, you can find out about some great book/movie, an interesting fact, a helpful tip. Those are just a few examples: there are blogfests on so many subjects! And if you read enough posts written by others and comment/follow, you will probably find at least a few new people reading your blog.

Conclusion:

Blogfests are a lot of fun. They're beneficial for you and your blog in that they increase your audience, and they're an excellent way of finding new friends in the blogosphere.
 
Thank you so much, Golden Eagle! Now here are some links to blogfests that are going on right now:

The Rule of Three Blogfest
Halloween Hop (Oct 28-31 visit as many Halloween Hop blogs as you can!)
Casting Call Character Blog Hop
Killer Characters Blogfest (Oct 24, 26, 28)
Oh, The Early Work Blogfest (have your post written by Oct 28, my post for this one is here)
YA Highway's Road Trip Wednesdays (not a blogfest, but a weekly prompt for you!)


What blogfests are you participating in right now? Post a link to the explanation post and I'll add it to the list!

8 comments:

  1. When the Golden Eagle speaks (or writes), I listen. She's a very smart birdie :-)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks for having me guest post, Gracie. :) I enjoyed writing it!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Sarah: That's for sure! She definitely is a smart birdie. Haha. :D

    ReplyDelete
  4. Blogfests are fun and a learning experience, never know which blogging friends you may meet along the way. I have met some wonderful people on the other side of the planet that way

    ReplyDelete
  5. Great post, Golden Eagle! And Gracie's just earned herself a new follower! Yes, blogfests are fun ways to meet new followers and friends! Thanks for the list of current blogfests!

    J.C.

    Join me in the Trick or Treat Spooktacular! Could you help make the Grand Prize a brand new Kindle Touch?

    ReplyDelete
  6. Way cool Golden :) I have to agree with all your points on the benefits and the conclusion. Sometimes I feel I would't be writing as much, or be as inspired, if it were not for the blogfests.

    Hi "Gracie"; nice to make your acquaintance. I'm only participating in the Rule of 3 blogfest right now, but have a couple others upcoming at the end of the month. Just can't remember them all.

    Hey thanks for that list of ongoing blogfests; I'll post them in my sidebar too. Are you participating in any of them? Well, I'm sure I'll see you around the blogs :)

    Have a great weekend . .

    ........dhole

    ReplyDelete
  7. Great work, ladies! Thanks for listing Casting Call! :D

    ReplyDelete

Hey there! I really treasure every comment... whether it just be a hello or a deeper thought. I love hearing your thoughts! :)

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...