Sunday, April 3, 2011

In Which I Talk About Mud And Books

This is my room.
Okay, I *wish* it was my room.
It's like walking through a mud puddle. Or, trying to walk through a mud puddle, really. We want to get to the other side, we want to slosh through and find a spot where maybe it won't be quite so thick. But no matter what, we just feel like we have to turn back because we're never going to get there.

That's kind of how I feel when I read a bad book. I want to finish it, on principle, but it's just too slow, and boring, and... muddy. And who knows? Maybe the mud doesn't end. And then I just wasted a day reading a muddy book.

Yet, a lot of things are useful that we didn't think would be at first. For example, a bad book. I think that it isn't useful to read a book that I'm not going to get anything out of, that I'm going to be tripping on the entire time, that I'm not going to enjoy, and that I'm getting more and more annoyed at the tell-and-not-show writing, at the lack of anything happening, at the whiny brat of a character. 

But, I also think, it kind of is useful. To see the examples of what not to do. Because we hear a lot of advice about what to not do, but I don't know about you but I find it a whole lot easier to catch on with examples. It's a good thing there's bad books around so we can have those examples.

(Although I'm not saying write a bad book just so someone can have an example of what not to do...)

And I guess if you're a reader, bad books are useful so they let you know what to look for next time.

Look! Useful things made from things that weren't going to be used (but now are being used):


Magazine table!


This was made out of menus, postcards, junk mail, greeting cards
and other recyclabes!
These shoes are awesome!!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Hey there! I really treasure every comment... whether it just be a hello or a deeper thought. I love hearing your thoughts! :)

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...