Saturday, July 2, 2011

Teen Writers Summer Blogfest: BOOKS 'n' Stuff

I was reading something the other day where someone said that they did not read. That they much preferred writing over reading. Before I talk about books 'n' stuff that I like about reading, I will just say: YOU WRITE, YOU READ.

There.

Now, I'm not exactly sure why I love to read (and consequently, write) but it might have something to do with it's fun. It's fun to imagine crazy things, it's fun to live vicariously through characters, it's fun to learn things in a roundabout way through fictional people. It's fun to immerse yourself in a book and get lost and pretend you're living in a different world, and it's fun to analyze the real world by making something up.

This year I decided to start a reading list of all the books I've read and so far I've read about 56 books. Some were good, some were bad, some were absolutely amazing. The worst I didn't finish because they were either much too "tell" and not enough "show", or... actually, nevermind. That was the main problem.

But the BEST. Those were definitely... well, Harry Potter, the last book of which I only finished (FOR THE FIRST TIME) this January (yes. I was 16 years old and had never read Harry Potter). Then there would be The Hunger Games and its two sequels, which I actually reread this year just because they were so good (I read them for the first time last year).

Then, the book that made me cry (which, to me, are always the best books; the ones that make you cry) Jellicoe Road by Melina Marchetta. It was a beautiful book, intertwining heartwrenching stories of past and present. I also have to say that Melina Marchetta definitely grew as a writer; after I read Jellicoe Road I read her first book, Looking for Alibrandi, and it was pretty awful. But this only proves that you write, you get better.

As for genres, I love YA, but there is something so refreshing and innocent and wonderful about reading middle grade. I do not know why or how this is, but if you are ever sick of stereotypical YA books, go and check out some middle grade from your library.

I have so many thoughts on reading, but they all appear as seperate thoughts like this one, this one and this one. So I guess what you should really do is keep coming back and checking for some more posts on reading. ;)

Oh and if you want to go check out all the other posts for the Teen Writers Summer Blogfest, go here!

4 comments:

  1. Wow, 56 books this year- I haven't read nearly that many but I'm trying to read 52 books this year so we'll see how it goes.

    I love both YA and MG, too. I like how YA is more mature and much more deeper than MG, but I still love MG.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I keep track of the books I read too, although I haven't gotten to 56 this year. Impressive, my friend, very impressive. I'm at 28 so far. Last year I wanted to read 100, but only got to 76. This year I'm not setting my sights so high.

    I've never really understood people who say they write but don't read. I mean, I know there are people like that out there, but I just don't get it.

    ReplyDelete
  3. @Brittany: Sometimes though, I think MG's "immaturity" if you will, makes it all the more enjoyable and funny.

    @Brittany C.: Well, 76 is close to 100... very close!! And I don't get why people write and don't read, either. I'm thinking that if they don't read, they don't REALLY write.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Last year I was shooting for 100 and I think I just made 75 at the end of the year. This year I'm just trying to read as much as I can. I'm up to 37 now. :)

    I've never understand people who write but don't read either. It's like a painter not looking at anyone else's work or an architect not looking at new buildings.

    ReplyDelete

Hey there! I really treasure every comment... whether it just be a hello or a deeper thought. I love hearing your thoughts! :)

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...