Wednesday, April 2, 2014

B is for Blackbirds by Chuck Wendig



First of all: yesterday I forgot to say Happy April, and that April I'm doing an A to Z book Review Challenge where I review 26 books, each with a title starting with a letter of the alphabet. I'm really excited because it's pushing me to do a lot more book reviews than I usually do, and you get to see a little bit more of my bookish tastes!

Today, I'm reviewing Blackbirds by Chuck Wendig.

I did not enjoy this book. (I do like the cover, though).

Blackbirds is about a crazy homeless psychic girl, who meets a random trucker and has a vision that in thirty days he is going to die horribly saying her name.

I had a lot of problems with this book.

First of all, the way all of the characters are introduced basically lends itself to the reader not caring about them at all. No one has any background or anything and they all just appear from off the highway. It also doesn't help that basically all of the characters aren't really fully rounded. They're either tropes or just boring. Miriam is a classic badass-don't-care character that I've seen a million times before. (Heck, even the other characters in the book have seen her character a million times before). Louis, the random trucker guy, is just that: a random trucker guy. I don't know why I'm supposed to care about him. Then there's Harriet and Frankie, who are so completely unrealistic that I question their existence. The reason given for Harriet's weird cruelty is lame, and doesn't really explain anything at all and gives absolutely no additional dimension to her character at all.

Second of all, the plot. The problem with the main plot being a psychic vision thing is that you know one of two things is going to happen: the vision will come true, or something will happen so that it doesn't come true. Or the author can do something completely different and throw off your guard based on your assumption that one of two things will happen. Yeah... the author didn't do anything interesting. The ending was boring, and predictable.

There was also multiple chapters of pure backstory that added nothing to the story (aghh), but I think I'll be done now.

Check it out on:
Goodreads
Amazon.com / Amazon.ca

Check out the author:
Website
Twitter

No comments:

Post a Comment

Hey there! I really treasure every comment... whether it just be a hello or a deeper thought. I love hearing your thoughts! :)

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...