Monday, April 14, 2014

F is for Fangirl, Friday Society, and Fragments

So instead of sticking to reading all of my A to Z books like I was supposed to, I went and bought Fangirl by Rainbow Rowell because I loved Eleanor & Park, read it immediately, and I read The Friday Society by Adrienne Kress which I bought before Christmas. But I DID still read Fragments, which is the sequel to Partials by Dan Wells. So I decided I'll do three mini-reviews!!

Fangirl by Rainbow Rowell
Goodreads

I loved it. In fact I've already read it twice. Rainbow Rowell is now one my list of go-to YA romance authors (a list that includes Stephanie Perkins, among others). The development of Cath and Levi's relationship is done so perfectly well. And like all well-written YA romances, I love how there is so much more going on than just the romance. There's Cath's self-consciousness issues, her problems with her sister and dad... it's just so awesome. I love how well Rowell writes diverse characters - here I mean diverse by just different. There are so many ways Rowell's characters don't fall back on typical YA stereotypes and I love it. (Also, Levi is super cute.)



The Friday Society by Adrienne Kress
Goodreads

This was a simple, fun read. It reminded me quite a lot of the Gallagher Girls series by Ally Carter actually, although a bit simpler plot-wise. But the characters were super fun. This book is definitely on the younger side of YA, but I would definitely recommend it if you like fun books about awesome girls.









Fragments by Dan Wells
Goodreads


I really liked Partials, and I was impressed with how Dan Wells handled is fairly large cast of characters. I wasn't a huge fan of the twist at the end because I liked the fact that there was no Chosen One element to the main character, Kira. But I loooved the diversity in the characters, and it was very well written and the flow of the story made complete sense. In Fragments, though, the entire time I was trying to put my finger on what my problem with it was. I finally realized there was little or no character development or character relationship development (which is kind of crazy, because Fragments is long). This is definitely a subjectivity thing for me. If you've read any of my blog, you know how much characters make it or break it for me! But anyway, I still think you should read Partials. Laura makes a very good case for it, and her review is why I read it in the first place (you can read her review here).

1 comment:

  1. Ahh I need to finish Fragments!! Glad you liked it. I introduced my roommate to the series as well.

    ReplyDelete

Hey there! I really treasure every comment... whether it just be a hello or a deeper thought. I love hearing your thoughts! :)

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...