Saturday, April 19, 2014

I is for Ink By Amanda Sun

I really, really wanted to love this book. It's about an exchange student from America living with her aunt in Japan and going to a Japanese school. I loved the setting, and how the Japanese language and culture permeated so much of the book. There's a lot of times when various versions of names are used, and in Japanese culture a specific name is used for if you're close to someone or not - I loved how that was done. I definitely want more books set outside the West (although it'd be nice if there was more than just American exchange student stories).


The main story of this book is about this guy, Tomohiro, who goes to the MC Katie's school and can bring things to life by drawing them with ink. It's a unique idea, and I was so ready to get into it.

But... the writing. The writing was really awkward and simple and made it impossible to really get into the story.

Actually, the story itself wasn't all that clear. I never really understood how "the ink" worked, or what it even was. I also didn't understand the relationship development between Katie and Tomohiro. It seemed like their friendship came out of nowhere, so much so that I felt like I'd skipped a section.

I definitely thought "ugh, I could definitely write better than this" a lot. And Katie used "shit" waay too many times to express herself and her emotions. It was the kind of writing that I feel like telling the author, Okay, go practise some more, then start again.

However, that being said, maybe a couple more books down the road, Amanda Sun could be there. I loved the idea and the setting, and that's a start. And the cover is gooorgeous and actually represents the book it contains.

Check INK out on Goodreads here, and check out the author's website here.



1 comment:

  1. The cover looks really lovely.

    I have been having a problem lately where my comments disappear from your blog. Here's me trying to comment again -- hope it works...

    ReplyDelete

Hey there! I really treasure every comment... whether it just be a hello or a deeper thought. I love hearing your thoughts! :)

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...