Thursday, April 17, 2014

G is for Grave Mercy by Robin LaFevers

Thank you, Shae, for recommending this book to me! She got me to read this book by saying it was about nun assasins, so yeah, that's what it's about.

However, I have to be honest, I'm kind of done with the whole "kick-ass" heroine thing, because I think it's overdone and a way that authors think they are writing "strong" female characters. There are lots of girls that have absolutely no fighting ability whatsoever and are still pretty awesome (like me. ha). Anyway that's a discussion for another day.


Despite the fact that the main character, Ismae, learns to kill and can take out three men by herself, her kick-butt-ness isn't emphasized in the way it usually is - as a way for boys to be impressed and a way for her to dominate over everyone. Ismae is actually quite scared and confused for a lot of the book, and still dependent on others around her, which in my opinion is the way it should be. So I loved Ismae's character. I also, of course, loved her slowly falling for Duval because I love those kinds of stories.

The plot itself was interesting enough, although it was played out mostly through dialogue about political stuff that a lot of the time I had a hard time following. There was a few scenes of action, but not a whole lot. It moved fast enough, although I'm still on the fence as to whether it is really necessary for this book to have a sequel. (Although I would love to see more of Duval. And Annith, Ismae's good friend from the convent).
 
Oh, and of course the premise that it's a story about a convent of nun assassins is really interesting and unique, and I'm always looking for completely different books, different from what's been done before.

Overall, though, I did enjoy it, and I encourage you to check it out! You can find it here on Goodreads and the author on her website here.

 

2 comments:

  1. A nun assassin? I'm sorry....wha'??? I'm assuming it makes more sense in-universe...It's certainly eye-catching, anyway...The title is clever, too.

    I see what you are saying about the kick-ass heroine. I personally don't mind the kick-ass heroine, because if she were a man, then no one would notice that she was an "action girl" or be surprised that the character had fighting skills. When it gets Mary Sue-ish, though, is when the kick-ass heroine is good at EVERY fighting style, weapon, or whatever. No one is THAT good...Sometimes I think people who are trying to write a "strong" character go overboard and make their character good at every literal strength that they can, without paying attention to the character development.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yeah, the nun assassin thing makes complete sense (at least to me) the way it was presented in world.

      Yeah I don't care if the girl can do action, I just hate it when that is the reason people are impressed with them and dismiss all other qualities (or they just don't have any other qualities). So, yeah basically what you said about going overboard and not paying attention to actual character development.

      Delete

Hey there! I really treasure every comment... whether it just be a hello or a deeper thought. I love hearing your thoughts! :)

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...