Thursday, April 10, 2014

E is for Ender's Game by Orson Scott Card

Ender's Game is the story of a young boy (actually very young he's six years old at the beginning) being taken and trained as a soldier in preparation for a worldwide war against millions of aliens, aka "buggers".

The entire three quarters of the book was basically Ender going up to this space station and descriptions of him going through training. To be honest I didn't really find it that interesting and I just kept wondering when are they going to get to the actual war? He's been training for forever. There was also a lot of detail about his training, and the maneuvers and techniques he used, and the friends he made and left. I know some people thrive on this detail, but I don't and was just waiting for the punch line.

BUT THE END.

Why do books have to do that? Wait until the end to redeem themselves? Because the way this book ended... well, it made it all worth it and completely changed my mind about everything. My brother read Ender's Game before I did, and when I got to the part where everything I changed I just went "WHAT. WHAT." My brother just laughed knowingly.

That moment was soo effective... I'm not going to say why because I don't want to spoil anything, but yeah, it made so much sense.

I'm still kind of reeling and trying to figure out everything that happened in this book. There's the fact that Ender is six at the beginning and only twelve or thirteen by the end. There's also the fact that Ender's genius siblings, Valentine and Peter, have this world domination plan that is actually kind of working? It's a very, very weird book.

The end made me like it, though, and I am interested enough that I am going to read the sequel. It was just such a weird, different book... I'm not really sure how I ended up liking it so much, but I did!

Check out Ender's Game on Goodreads and Amazon.
The author Orson Scott Card is also on Twitter.


3 comments:

  1. I think the people who start reading the book expecting an action flick like the movie are going to be very surprised by the fact that most of it is psychological mind games and growing up and stuff.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yeah, I'm so glad I read the book first - also because the awesome plot twist ending is ruined in the movie. And now I've come to really appreciate the more detailed intricacies of the book. I did enjoy the movie though, but as an entirely separate thing.

      Delete
    2. I don't think I will ever be able to enjoy the movie...It was too "safe." They made a book that makes a statement into just another generic action movie. And they erased all the homoerotic undertones just to make Orson Scott Card happy because he's a huge homophobe...

      Delete

Hey there! I really treasure every comment... whether it just be a hello or a deeper thought. I love hearing your thoughts! :)

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...