Tuesday, April 22, 2014

J is for Jane Eyre by Charlotte Bronte

Two things.

One, I listened to this on audiobook which is a very different experience from reading a book (like I tend to fall asleep a lot more often). (Also, since the narrator was British I kept thinking that Jane was addressing the book to Rita, and I was wondering who the heck Rita was, until I read some quotes on tumblr and realized she was just saying "Reader" with a British accent.)

Two, I feel like reviewing a classic novel that's already loved by millions is also an entirely different experience.



I actually wanted to read Jane Eyre because of my new obsession with the Autobiography of Jane Eyre, a web series based on the book (made by Canadians!).

I have to say, these slow romantic books that are mostly dialogue and slower writing are not my cup of tea. I have a really hard time paying attention. Especially since the main plot points happened through long back and forth dialogue, and the parts in between were huge chunks of telling by Jane the Narrator. I just don't like that kind of writing.

I did like Jane, though, I thought she was fun and clever and a strong young lady who definitely stood up for herself. (Go, Jane!) I thought Rochester was weird and didn't really like him (it didn't help that the audiobook narrator's voice for Rochester had a snobby sneer at the end of every sentence), and St John (Sinjin? The audiobook narrator kept saying Sinjin) was also weird. I don't really know how Jane likes either of these guys. The entire story was kind of weird, actually.

I did very much love the happy ending, though, of course.

(Just kidding. Rochester dies.)

All in all, I much prefer the web series, where I actually like Rochester and you get to see more of all of the other characters. You can watch that here, if you so please.

Also check out the book, not that the book needs any more support.

(Also, does Charlotte Bronte have a hard time coming up with names or something? There are like 5 Johns and 3 Marys in this book.)

1 comment:

  1. John and Mary were, and still are, very common names...and yes, it's pronounced "Sinjin."

    I dislike audiobooks, especially for classic works, because it takes so much longer for the narrator to read it than it would take me to read it myself. Also, I think that with a classic work like this, s/he might approach it with a preconceived view of how the characters are, which is portrayed in their voice. That's what you found with Rochester, for instance. I always thought she liked Rochester but was not interested in her cousin beyond wanting to help his mission...St. John only pushed the marriage thing because he thought it would be improper otherwise. But yes, Jane is awesome. :)

    ReplyDelete

Hey there! I really treasure every comment... whether it just be a hello or a deeper thought. I love hearing your thoughts! :)

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...