Sunday, April 27, 2014

O is for OCD Love Story by Corey Ann Haydu

OCD Love Story is about a girl, Bea, coming to terms with her OCD diagnosis, along with a boy she meets, Beck. This is much more about Bea and her relationship with her OCD than her relationship with Beck, though, which I appreciated.



I love books like this, that are not only an interesting story but give me a deeper understanding of something I don't really know much about. I definitely learned a lot about OCD reading about Bea and being inside her head for the duration of the book.

I also thought it was written really well; for example I thought the way Bea's panic attacks were written were done so realistically, I could feel the panic myself (and I most definitely related). Sometimes I feel like writers go for the easiest cliché description (actually I found this was the case a lot of the time in Nobody But Us), but the writing in this book did not do that. The writing and story always flowed smoothly.

It wasn't something that particular stood out to me, but Bea was also a different character. She wasn't a hugely popular snob, or intensely shy. Her character was definitely a contrast from the two types of girl characters that I generally see in YA.

My only complaint is a small one, and that is the fact that while Bea has a father, he is never actually present. In fact, he doesn't ever say a word. He's just a name. If this was an attempt to go against the one parent theme in YA, it was pretty pathetic and not worth anything at all.

But other than that, I really enjoyed reading about Bea, and learning more about OCD. I would not recommend it if you're looking for a love story, since that was a minimal part, but otherwise, definitely put it on your TBR list!

Check out the book on Goodreads here and the author's website here.  

2 comments:

  1. OCD is such a misunderstood and misrepresented disorder, it's nice to see more accurate depictions in fiction as to what the disorder really entails. Thanks for the review.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It definitely is. That's why I love books so much - you can learn so much! You should definitely check it out. :)

      Delete

Hey there! I really treasure every comment... whether it just be a hello or a deeper thought. I love hearing your thoughts! :)

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...