Wednesday, April 9, 2014

D is for Doll Bones by Holly Black

Okay, I am getting back on track with my A to Z Book Review challenge... starting today, when I am reviewing Doll Bones by Holly Black.

Summary from Goodreads:

Zach, Poppy and Alice have been friends for ever. They love playing with their action figure toys, imagining a magical world of adventure and heroism. But disaster strikes when, without warning, Zach’s father throws out all his toys, declaring he’s too old for them. Zach is furious, confused and embarrassed, deciding that the only way to cope is to stop playing . . . and stop being friends with Poppy and Alice. But one night the girls pay Zach a visit, and tell him about a series of mysterious occurrences. Poppy swears that she is now being haunted by a china doll – who claims that it is made from the ground-up bones of a murdered girl. They must return the doll to where the girl lived, and bury it. Otherwise the three children will be cursed for eternity...


I think the kinds of book reviews I most hate doing are reviews where I didn't really have any big problem with the book, but it wasn't anything special for me. It was just fine.

That's how I felt about this book. It was good, I got through it, the characters were fun. I thought the plot was fairly simple and the creepiness of the doll wasn't really creepy enough to have any effect on me, but it was fine for an MG.

I feel like I'm missing something. If you read it, did you like it? No? Why or why not?

Check it out:
Goodreads
Amazon.com / Amazon.ca

Check out the author:
Website
Twitter

 

3 comments:

  1. I think the doll wasn't supposed to be creepy or scary; more sad. That's the impression I got. The story of her life was so lonely and miserable. It made sense how she would want to be the Queen and play with other kids. All in all, I was much more interested in the friendship-building and character story with the 3 friends than with the ghost/horror angle. I thought the relationships were done really well and I liked the realistic elements that were introduced into the tale (such as what happens when 3 kids try to ride a bus at 3am and the fact that they didn't conveniently push the parents aside so they could go wandering around).

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yeah, the friendship between the 3 kids is definitely the best part of the story. I never really considered that the doll could be sad... that could definitely change how I think about the story.

      Delete
    2. If you think about it, it's really about 3 kids (whose families aren't so great either) trying to put the ghost of an abused and neglected child to rest. Part of their own journey was going from "I hate my parents" to "parents are people too and they still love us, life isn't actually all that hideous." The ghost depressed me from the beginning...Have you seen "The Devil's Backbone"? It has a ghost like this too, one which is sad rather than scary.

      Delete

Hey there! I really treasure every comment... whether it just be a hello or a deeper thought. I love hearing your thoughts! :)

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...